[W] I am RSI-ed
A Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), also known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS), Occupational Overuse Syndrome, or Work Related Upper Limb Disorder (WRULD), is any of a loose group of conditions resulting from overuse of a tool, such as a computer keyboard or musical instrument or other activity that requires repeated movements. It is a syndrome that affects muscles, tendons and nerves in the hands, arms and upper back. The medically accepted condition in which it occurs is when muscles in these areas are kept tense for very long periods of time, due to poor posture and/or repetitive motions.
It is most common among assembly line workers, COMPUTER WORKERS, store checkout clerks, and professional musicians. Good posture, ergonomics and limiting time in stressful working conditions can help prevent or halt the progress of the disorder. Stretches, strengthening exercises, and biofeedback training to reduce neck and shoulder muscle tension can help heal existing disorders.
yes, i’ve been suffering from RSI since 8 years ago! it’s all bcoz of Diablo (calm down Diablo, i don’t blame u 100%) ! during the long break after my SPM, my daily activity was playing PC games & building my own website. well, that doesn’t sound harmful enough to cause a shoulder-ache.. unless u sit in front of ur PC, in a wrong posture for months.
during that time, my home was in a bit messy condition. lots of furniture & piles of my dad’s documents. the only place i can put the PC was in the living room, on the floor! so everyday i would sit on the floor, bend my body forward, rest my chin on my knee so that i can reach my keyboard & move my mouse easily.
i remember there was one day, when 2 health inspectors/officers/whatever-they-r-called from jabatan kesihatan negeri johor (if i’m not mistaken la) came for a house-to-house spotcheck. 1 of them told me, “dik, x elok duduk mcm tu. cube letak komputer tu ats meja.”. but like i said b4, there was no other proper place. i didn’t feel any pain on my shoulder until it started during my studies in UTMKL.
so here i am today, befriend with ammeltz yoko yoko. i’ll feel pain/sore (sometime feel like there’s something crawling inside my muscle) on my right shoulder when:
- i’m sitting on a stool with no backrest or hard 90° backrest for a long period, or
- i’m using PC keyboard & mouse placed on a table which is higher than my arm level, or
- i’m walking with backpack for a long period @ lifting a really heavy things.
other than that, i’ll feel pain on my hand and fingers when i use small-tiny-puny mouse.
here’s 10 ways to prevent RSI:
- Cut down on computer use. Go for a walk or see a movie instead of playing video games. Look something up in a book instead of searching the Web. You are in the danger zone for injury if you use a computer for as little as two hours a day.
- Adjust your workstation properly. Make sure your monitor is directly in front of you, with the top of the screen at eye level. Be sure your keyboard and mouse are low enough to allow you to relax your shoulders.
- Sit up straight. Make sure your chair supports your spine in an erect position.
- Practice proper technique: never rest your wrists on the desk, wrist pad or armrests while you are typing or using a mouse or trackball.
- Pace yourself. Take a 5-to-10 minute break every 20 minutes and limit your overall time at the computer.
- Get regular cardiovascular exercise.
- Do appropriate upper-body strengthening ans stretching exercises.
- Stretch frequently while at the computer.
- Do not work at the computer or other hand-intensive activities if you are experiencing pain, fatigue or soreness.
- Avoid using the mouse and trackball whenever possible. Use keystrokes instead.
i hope u guys/girls take any precaution to avoid any “damage” to ur body and end up in a low-quality-life like me.